Bibm@th

Forum de mathématiques - Bibm@th.net

Bienvenue dans les forums du site BibM@th, des forums où on dit Bonjour (Bonsoir), Merci, S'il vous plaît...

Vous n'êtes pas identifié(e).

#1 15-11-2017 09:53:34

RyanCaleb
Banni(e)

Which order to learn math topics in?

Hi there,

I've been teaching myself mathematics from textbooks and webpages for a while. I have never had formal math education, though, so I am unfamiliar with how this is usually done.

An example: I was reading a graph theory textbook when, about a tenth of the way in, the author assumes knowledge of linear algebra for the rest of the book. This annoys me because I'd prefer not to stop-and-start textbooks.

So, in what order are you supposed to learn things? I'm looking for a sort of 'technology tree' of math; what are each subfield's dependencies? What should I know before getting a textbook about abstract algebra or topology?

I am currently pretty much up to speed with high-school math; I am more-or-less familiar with calculus, I know (extremely) basic number theory, but beyond that I know nothing. I am interested in basically all math, maybe slightly biased to the discrete side. I'm learning this for fun.

Thanks for any help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=69851

whiteboard animation

#2 15-11-2017 20:48:33

Yassine
Membre

Re : Which order to learn math topics in?

Hi RyanCaleb,
May be you can follow the Bourbaki road : they tried to rewrite a great deal of math from the ground up.
I guess the published books follow a logical order :
Livre I :      Set theory
Livre II :     Algabra
Livre III :    General Topology
Livre IV :    Single variable functions
Livre V :     Topological vectorial spaces
Livre VI :    Integration
Livre VII :   Commutative algebra
Livre VIII :  differential  and analytical manifolds
Livre IX :    Groups and Lie algebras
Livre X :     Spectral theory

L'ennui dans ce monde c'est que les idiots sont sûrs d'eux et les gens sensés pleins de doutes. B. Russel

Réponse rapide

Veuillez composer votre message et l'envoyer
Nom (obligatoire)

E-mail (obligatoire)

Message (obligatoire)

Programme anti-spam : Afin de lutter contre le spam, nous vous demandons de bien vouloir répondre à la question suivante. Après inscription sur le site, vous n'aurez plus à répondre à ces questions.

Quel est le résultat de l'opération suivante ?7 + 55
Système anti-bot

Faites glisser le curseur de gauche à droite pour activer le bouton de confirmation.

Attention : Vous devez activer Javascript dans votre navigateur pour utiliser le système anti-bot.

Pied de page des forums